Sunday, November 11, 2007

Searching & Waiting

Yes, I am searching.

And, I am waiting.

Like Lawrence Ferlinghetti...

I am waiting for the Second Coming
and I am waiting
for a religious revival
to sweep through the state of Arizona
and I am waiting
for the Grapes of Wrath to be stored
and I am waiting
for them to prove
that God is really American
and I am seriously waiting
for Billy Graham and Elvis Presley
to exchange roles seriously
and I am waiting
to see God on television
piped onto church altars
if only they can find
the right channel
to tune in on
and I am waiting
for the Last Supper to be served again
with a strange new appetizer
and I am perpetually awaiting
a rebirth of wonder

I am waiting
to get some intimations
of immortality
by recollecting my early childhood
and I am waiting
for the green mornings to come again
youth’s dumb green fields come back again
and I am waiting
for some strains of unpremeditated art
to shake my typewriter
and I am waiting to write
the great indelible poem
and I am waiting
for the last long careless rapture
and I am perpetually waiting
for the fleeing lovers on the Grecian Urn
to catch each other up at last
and embrace
and I am waiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder
(See here for more about Lawrence Ferlinghetti and a link to the complete poem.)

Actually, all I'd like is the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

And it is not 42.

I am searching for faith. And while I'm searching I am waiting. "I am waiting perpetually and forever a renaissance of wonder". I am inspired by my friends, my enemies, my parents, my wife, my child and my grandchildren. Oh, and Don Quixote, who was also a bit of a searcher and a dreamer:

It is the mission of each true knight...
His duty... nay, his privilege!
To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go;
To right the unrightable wrong.

To love, pure and chaste, from afar,
To try, when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star!

This is my Quest to follow that star,
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far,
To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march into hell
For a heavenly cause!

And I know, if I'll only be true
To this glorious Quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this,
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach the unreachable stars!
Now that is inspiring! "To reach the unreachable stars". Wow. But, what if "faith" is unfounded? What then? Perhaps it is just the "glorious quest". To "dream the impossible dream". That's what I hope to pursue in these postings.

And yet another dreamer...
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

John Lennon, 1971
Now that I've broken probably every copyright possible (and perhaps a few that are impossible), I'll end this post. The search (and the wait) continues...

Happy Birthday, Craig!

No comments: